Depending on the requirements and scope of work interviewer ask interview questions. Interviewer may ask you about your summer / industrial training, final year project and subject of your choice.
Below we will discuss about some of commonly asked manufacturing interview questions from Fresher mechanical engineers:
What are the manufacturing operations that can be done with drilling machine?
Drilling, Reaming, Tapping, boring, counter-boring, countersinking and spot facing are some of the commonly done manufacturing operations on drilling machine. Here you can find out in detail about the operations done on drilling machine.
What are manufacturing operations that can be done with lathe machine?
Facing, Turning, thread cutting, drilling, boring,reaming, tapping, Chamfering, Grooving, , Forming, Knurling and undercutting are commonly used operations on lathe machine.
What is forging process?
Forging is a manufacturing process of shaping metal by applying localised force. Force are applied with a hammer or a die. Forging is often classified according to the temperature of base material: cold forging, warm forging, hot forging
What do you understand by casting process?
Casting is a manufacturing process in which a liquid material is poured into a mold and then allowed to solidify to get desired shape. The solidified part is also known as a casting.
What is extrusion process?
Extrusion process is used to manufacture fixed cross-sectional long profiles. In this process material is pushed through a die of required cross-section. Advantages of extrusion process is its ability to create very complex cross-sections.
What is the difference between shaper and Planner Machine?
While working with shaper machine work is held stationary and the cutting tool on the ram is moved back and forth across the work while In a planar machine, the tool is stationary and work piece travels back and forth under the tool.
What is a press tool ?
Press tools are commonly used in hydraulic, pneumatic, and mechanical presses to produce sheet metal components. Press tools are used for making sheet metal operations such as blanking, piercing, bending, forming, forging, trimming etc.
What do you understand by stamping operation?
Stamping is sheet metal manufacturing process of giving shape to sheet metal parts.
What is the difference between hot rolling and cold rolling process?
Process of hot rolling involves rolling steel at a temp above recrystallization temperature. During the cooling process steel will shrink and the size and shape of the steel will be less predictable. While cold rolling involves at a temp below recrystallization temperature (at around room temp). So there is no chance of steel shrinkage
What do you understand by broaching ?
Broaching is a machining operation using a toothed tool (known as broach) to remove material. In Broaching metal is cut in one pass of the broach.
Types of Broaching:
- Linear Broaching : In this process broach is run linearly against a surface of the work piece to cut the material. Broaching Machine is used for broach.
- Rotary Broaching : Broach is rotated and pressed into the work-piece to cut an axis symmetric shape. A rotary broach is used in a lathe or screw machine.
What is swaging?
Swaging is a forging process in which the dimensions of a part are altered using dies into which the part is forced. Swaging is usually a cold working process.
What is the difference between 3-jaw-chuck and 4-jaw-chuck?
What is the difference in welding brazing and soldering?
- Welding is used to join two or more similar material (usually metal or thermoplastic parts) by melting base material or by using filler material rod. Strength of welded is similar to the base material. Sometimes pressure is also used with heat to produce weld.
- Brazing is a metal joining process in which two or more metal parts are joined together by melting and flowing a filler metal into the joint. Filler metal always have lower melting temperature compared to base metals.
- Soldering is a joining process (usually metals) by melting and flowing a filler metal (also known as solder) into the joint. Filler metal always have lower melting temperature compared to base metals. Flux is always used with soldering.