You can expect 25 to 30% cost saving with metal-to-plastic conversion. With high strength, consistent reliability and the ability to achieve tight tolerances as metal, plastic parts offer various benefits across all types of industries.
You can find countless injection moulded parts around you. For example, Mobile and laptop housing, kitchenware products such as grinder, plastic bowls e.t.c.
In this article we will discuss advantages and disadvantages of injection moulding process.
What is Injection Moulding
Injection molding process is a manufacturing operation for producing plastic parts with high production rate. It is used for the manufacturing of thermoplastic materials such as ABS, PC, PE, PS and Nylon. Learn more about Injection Moulding Process here
Now Let’s take a closer look at advantages and disadvantages of injection molding.
Advantages of Injection Molding
- Higher strength to weight ratio when compared with metal
- Lighter weight and improved ease of use
- Reduced manufacturing costs for high production rate
- Superior design flexibility
- Shorter lead time after molding tool manufacturing
- Increased corrosion resistance
- Consolidation of multiple metal parts into a single plastic part
- High toughness compared to metal parts
- Tight tolerances can be achieved with good mold design and process control
- Plastic parts require fewer secondary operations thereby saving on time and costs.
- Reduce the number of fasteners required to assemble parts
- Reduced waste
- Very less Production Scrap
- Easy adherence to various regulatory compliance
- Lower packaging and shipping costs
- Thermoplastics are recyclable
- Greater product structural strength
Disadvantages of Injection Moulding
Followings are the disadvantages of injection molded plastic parts when compared with metal parts.
- Initial tooling Cost is very high
- Part design restrictions : Plastic part design guidelines need to be followed
- Not economical for low production rate.
- Mold manufacturing lead time is very high
- Prototyping is very costly and challenging task.
- Cost estimation is very difficult.